Is time management a skill?
Productivity gurus and business owners talk about it, but what is time management really? Is it a skill? Can you improve it?
You've probably heard the phrase “time management” from productivity gurus and successful business owners.
Despite this, it’s unclear what it actually means. Is it a skill? If so, how can you get better at it? How can you manage something as abstract as time?
In this article, we’ll answer these questions and explain what time management is all about.
You’ll learn why it’s important to manage your time effectively and find out four techniques to improve your time management.
Plus, we'll share WHY you should care about time management by explaining several benefits of proper time management.
Let's get into it 🚀🚀🚀
What is time management?
Time management is the process of planning and exercising conscious control over the amount of time spent on specific activities.
It includes your ability to prioritize, delegate and manage expectations. The goal of time management is to maximize productivity by allocating your resources efficiently, while balancing other responsibilities and commitments in order to achieve desired results within an available timeframe.
Time management is also referred to as “time budgeting” or “time awareness."
Is time management a skill?
If you're looking for a way to become more productive or spend less time working, time management is the skill you need. Time management is a skill that can be learned, improved and honed over time. It's a skill that can be developed and mastered if you are willing to put in the work.
Time management is not something that's innate; it's something that must be learned and practiced regularly until it becomes second nature, like riding a bicycle or cooking a meal without having to look at the recipe each time.
Benefits of time management
There are MANY benefits to being organizing your time.
- When you manage your time something incredible happens: You get more of it.
- You save time by doing things ahead of time, when you've scheduled the activity, instead of waiting until the last minute.
- You feel less stressed because your day isn't filled with interruptions. Time management is about doing one thing at a time extremely well, then moving on to the next.
- When you manage your time, your workday ends on schedule instead of running late (or early).
- When you manage your time, you get to spend more time with the people you love, doing the things you love.
How to build your time management skills
If you want to build your time management skills, then there are a number of ways to do so. Here are some that you can try:
- Write it down. First things first, if you don't make a plan, your planning for nothing. It only takes 5 minutes each night to write down exactly what you want to accomplish tomorrow. Keep it simple. Don't stuff your day. After you've gotten in the habit of writing your goals down, you can move them into a productivity tool like notion.
- Prioritize what's most important to you. You have the most energy and will power right at the beginning of the day when you wake. This is when you should tackle the most important tasks of your day. The most important things to you should always come first.
- Take breaks. Guess what, when you take breaks in between tasks, you come back stronger. Don't burn out, take breaks. Use time management techniques like the pomodoro technique to ensure you don't burn out while you're working through your list. The pomodoro technique involves focusing on a task for 25 minutes before taking a break for five minutes. The idea is that this structure will help ensure that you don’t burn out by working too long at any one point in time, and also allows your brain to rest between periods of intense focus.
- Use great time management tools. We live in the digital age which means those using better tools will get better results. Use great tools like Timeva to help you manage your time. Timeva was built to help you manage your time your way in the digital age. Timeva is a distractionless, simplistic, customizable timer built for the digital age. Learn more about Timeva here.
As your time management skills grow, you'll want to manage larger chunks of time. Use tools like notion, google calendar, and cron to manage your next, week, month and year.
Time management is a skill that can be learned and improved. It takes practice and commitment, but it pays off in the long run due to all the benefits. If you want to learn more about how to manage your time, follow our blog for the latest articles on time management, productivity, and effective ways of working in the digital age.
Join the newsletter
Time management tips for the digital age. No spam